Sweet Potato Salad
Servings: 8 generous side servings
I often make this sweet potato salad - it goes very well with any grilled meats or fish (perfect for a braai). It can be made ahead of time and keeps in the fridge for at least 5 days (it actually just keeps getting better). I get asked for this recipe every time we have new guests who try it for the first time.Print Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3cm chunks (about 1.5kg)
- 1 red onion thinly sliced into half moons
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dojon mustard
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground paprika
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 200°C. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss sweet potatoes in oil then season with salt and pepper.
- Distribute them evenly on sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 30 minutes, before adding the sliced red onions and baking for another 30 minutes (or until completely tender). Let it cool for 10 minutes then transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, make dressing: In a small bowl or in a medium liquid measuring cup, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, honey, and spices. Gradually pour in the oil, whisking constantly until emulsified. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with dressing, and parsley. Serve warm or at room temperature.