Herbed Red Roman with Sweet Potatoes and Onions
This was my first time roasting a whole fish in the oven and it was much easier than I thought it was. Same as roasting anything, you do a bit of prep while the oven heats up, stick it in and wait! No tricks here.Print Recipe
- 4 small sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 onion cut into wedges
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 2½ Tbsp Pesto Princess basil pesto You could substitute with any pesto flavour of your choice
- 1 Tbsp Pesto Princess Chimichurri sauce
- ¼ onion chopped roughly
- 2 cloves garlic chopped roughly
- zest of 1 lemon
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 whole Red Roman around 550g
- salt to taste
- lemon wedges for serving
- Heat your oven to 225C. Coat the sweet potatoes in 1 Tbsp olive oil, season with salt and par-cook them in the microwave for about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the pesto, chimichurri, ¼ onion, garlic cloves, lemon zest and pepper in a small food processer/mini chopper and blitz for about 15 seconds. Add the olive oil and blitz for another 15 seconds until a slightly smooth sauce forms.
- Cut 3 slits diagonally on both sides of the fish, cutting all the way to the bone on both sides. Rub the sauce all over the fish on both sides - make sure to rub it all the way into the slits as well. Make sure you retain about 2 Tbsp of the sauce.
- Mix the par-cooked sweet potatoes with the onions and remainder of the sauce and spread around the fish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the fish is flaky and the veggies are tender. Serve with lemon wedges.